Thread: 2017 Twin Ring Motegi Moto GP...!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Name: Shane
    VIN: 07/0286

Default 2017 Twin Ring Motegi Moto GP...!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1010.JPG 
Views:	1424 
Size:	453.7 KB 
ID:	47914

I'm heading to my very first MotoGP...!

October 13, 14 & 15, 2017(the picture above shows 2016 dates)

Need help/tips from you GP groupies who have gone to many of these *peers at @Thrasher *...

Where's the best place to buy tickets?

Best seats?

What activities we 'must do' during the three days at Motegi?

- yes, I plan to visit the Honda Museum and see my favorite bikes while I'm there

Etc...

This is lifetime bucket list stuff for me so I'm trying my best to plan everything out to maximize the fun. I plan on going to the GP with my step dad and my son. A few friends from HI may come join us for the weekend as well...

Thanks in advanced for any help ya'lls can give me...

Okay, what should my plan include? GO...!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repsol Dave View Post
    Long live the Magnificent '07!!! ()
    Quote Originally Posted by ddgith
    I think an 07 guy should have to pay triple the value, since "yours is the 'sweetest' machine"

Margarita Peace Keeper Thrasher's Avatar

Name: Thrasher
    VIN: 2007/0049

Thumbs up Re: 2017 Twin Ring Motegi Moto GP...!!!

Wow thats awesome buy the best tickets you can afford right off the MotoGP website, get a hotel as close to the track as possible, Traffic is crazy!!! Study the track because the most expensive tickets may not have the view you want. watch some videos of races there so you understand the layout, direction of travel and elevation changes and what fan clubs sit where!!! Congratulations. We are going on a cruise to Alaska this summer but in 2018 both of us will be retired so I hope to stay in France and see the French GP and a Spanish GP on the same trip!!!
    “Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.”
    – Stirling Moss
    The Sun Never Sets on the 07 Empire!

Name: Mario
    VIN: 2007 #00012

Default Re: 2017 Twin Ring Motegi Moto GP...!!!

Way to go brother!
    1990 Honda RC30 VFR750R...............1979 Honda CBX Red.......1982 CB1100R
    1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor.......1979 Honda CBX Silver.....2001 CBR1100XX
    1982 Suzuki GS1000 Katana..............1986 Yamaha FZ750.........1986 Honda VFR750
    2007 Honda VFR800 Interceptor.........1995 Honda CBR900RR Urban Tiger

Name: Hillbilly

Great to hear this news brother! You picked a great venue too!

Take everything @Thrasher said to heart. I would def look into some of the older races there and find the turns or straights with the best action. Also, check to see if they have monitors so you can watch the rest of the race when you can't see them. At Indy they had a few of them around the track so I would sit in different places as long as I had the monitor in front of me.

Buy a pit pass if possible and get the full blown experience. Seems like the best time to meet riders is during the first two days (Friday/Saturday) when they are more relaxed and ha e more time. I found a great time is right after qualifying.

Look to see if Honda is doing a ticket package deal that includes everything you want to do (museum, track, pit pass, swag bag, etc etc) as some places do especially when it's a home track.

Don't pack anything you won't need. Just extra weight you'll have to lug around and it'll tire you out. End of the day you'll be dog ass tired. Take a backpack as you'll find places or vendors that give out free swag and you can get great deals.

Autographs, keep a sharpie with you, black/silver. Never know who you'll bump into. No lie brother. I've met lots of people there at the GPs who you'd never imagine would be there. Most are planning future deals.

Grab up a cheap plastic poncho just in case it rains. Walmart, Costco, or a sports store should have some cheap ones. Think travel kit. Small items easily packed into a small area and lightweight.

Feel free to DM me or text me Shane. I'll try and get back on here if anything else hits me from memory lane that'll benefit you.
    When in doubt, power out!

Right on Cherry Bomb, Take a backpack, bring water and extra Sharpies and check they work. Lots of tracks in Europe dont let you get near the riders but if you find out this one does maybe consider taking a helmet for autographs. Make sure you phone works there and if they are like Europe you can just buy a sim card anywhere but get the dick head at the store to set it up and make sure it works! Take lots of pictures PLEASE.
    – Stirling Moss

Name: Hillbilly

Definitely make sure your phone is charged or take a separate camera. I'm not up to date on how cellular services work overseas.

I'd check to see if they do have a fan walk or see if the pit passes get you close to the riders. If so, I'd def take a helmet. Had Nicky sign his 05 Laguna Seca Aria. Told me 'That's a nice helmet'. Just never know !
    When in doubt, power out!

Bring extra battery for the camera and make sure its fairly new and holds a charge and carry it with you in your pocket. If you don't have big SD cards bring a laptop, never mind just get a 64 gig SD card for the camera. international luggage is 50 lbs and only one bag person plus a carry on and a backpack briefcase purse whatever. Although I think I some south east Asian airlines it mighty be more generous but double check. if kids are coming they can bring a big bag just like an adult so use that to your advantage. Bring hearing protection for the kids for sure and maybe yourself.
    – Stirling Moss

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

I don't have any advice about Motegi/Japan, but from going to COTA GP the last two years a portable battery of at least 2000 mAh was well worth it to charge up my phone. The one I have is about the size of my iPhone 6 so it fit fine in any pocket I put it in. Cargo shorts made it easy to carry it, phone usb cable and anything else I need without always having to reach into the backpack.

Name: Shane
    VIN: 07/0286

1) watch old races to get an idea of where to buy seats

Carry backpack with:

2) poncho

3) water

4) sharpie pens

5) ear plugs

6) cell phone charged & portable battery charger

Thanks for the great advice so far boys...!

So far we've secured our flight to Haneda. We're planning to drive out of Tokyo (about 90 miles) to Twin Rings Motegi early late Friday night or super early Saturday morning to catch qualifying. We're planning on staying in either Utsunomiya or Mito City as they are the closest hotels to Motegi. My step dad doesn't want to watch practice so looks like we'll be skipping Friday. We drive back to Tokyo and meet up with the girls late Sunday night to early Monday morning...

@Thrasher
    @Cherry Bomb
    @TrackSol
    Quote Originally Posted by Repsol Dave View Post
    Long live the Magnificent '07!!! ()
    Quote Originally Posted by ddgith
    I think an 07 guy should have to pay triple the value, since "yours is the 'sweetest' machine"

Exclamation Re: 2017 Twin Ring Motegi Moto GP...!!!

What is the distance between Hotel and track. Make sure you take a GPS that will work there or get a car with a GPS.

The traffic at Laguna Seca was big but not difficult.
    The traffic at Assen was an incredible mess and we got twisted around a couple times.
    The traffic at Mugello was not bad either. But I always plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    – Stirling Moss