Thread: ".....and slay the Dragon!"

Name: Tony

Default ".....and slay the Dragon!"

And brave Sir Bagalot duth head south with thy young squire to once again do battle with thy beast of the moutains of smoke.

T.

Name: Hillbilly

Default Re: ".....and slay the Dragon!"

What's your dates? I'm not far from there.
    When in doubt, power out!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Bomb View Post
    What's your dates? I'm not far from there.
    If the weather does not improve we could be out of here tomorrow (Gatlinburg). After a great drive down its been rain on and off for most of the day. Got a short ride (32km) in tonight before getting boxed in by rain again. One more shot tomorrow then it's homeward bound on Saturday morning.
    T.

Name: Mario
    VIN: 2007 #00012

C'mon Tony what's a little water.......nah hope it clears out for you Tony.
    2007 CBR1000RR Repsol..............1979 Honda CBX Red.......1978 Honda XL250S
    1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor..1979 Honda CBX Silver....1987 Honda XL600R
    1982 Suzuki GS1000 Katana..........1976 Kawasaki KZ900
    1995 Honda CB1000 Big One.........2006 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by SIXDOG View Post
    C'mon Tony what's a little water.......nah hope it clears out for you Tony.

Well SIX, we had a great run to the Gap late this morning with a 01:00 arrival. My son did great from the back seat of the Repsol. I made a solo pass, up and back, before my lunch. The weight change made the out bound leg rather interesting to say the least. The return leg was better but not a record breaker by any means. But I did sorta recover my grove thang! On the return leg to Gatlinburg I'm sure I saw Noah or Capt Nemo! It freakin poured on us. But I had warnings of that,..... I saw God at about mile marker 6 (in torential rain) on the last out bound leg and he mentioned something about a guy named Moses and stuff about "parting the waters"!

T.

Hey at least your life didn't flash before your eyes!!!!! Sounds like a good run any way!!!! PICS?

Quote Originally Posted by TigreST View Post
    If the weather does not improve we could be out of here tomorrow (Gatlinburg). After a great drive down its been rain on and off for most of the day. Got a short ride (32km) in tonight before getting boxed in by rain again. One more shot tomorrow then it's homeward bound on Saturday morning.
    T.
    Oh, I thought you were heading down soon. Wish I could have linked up with you. I'm home in Nashville now. If it had been a couple weekends down the road I would've rode out and met you. Hopefully next time we can catch each other.

Safe travels home!

Hey at least your life didn't flash before your eyes!!!!! Sounds like a good run any way!!!! PICS?
    Pic's?...Yeah, got a couple.

T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon2017small25.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	48444 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon2017smallB25.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	48445

Nice Tony!

"....and now the rest of the story." as Paul Harvey was wont to say.

Friday Aug, 11th: Well, another 05:30 roll out, another breakfast bar visit and another coffee and once again I'm outside to check on the weather. "Hmm....its sort of clearing up", thinks me. It is turning out to be a glorious morning and I make tracks back to the room to roust the copilot from bed. "I think were going riding..or at least we'll make the attempt. You get your act together and I'll be back in ten or so and we'll gear up and head towards the Dragon, or until we hit rain or worse." I head to the garage area and do my normal prep on the bike...which is a simple and quick rub and buff of the windshield and the like. That's when it all goes South!

So...I'm happily rubbing the bit of rain tire spray off the bike that we collected the evening before and I'm going after a quick buff up on the wheels. Front wheel done. Touch the cloth to the rear wheel and (it's on the rear paddock stand) give it a spin to cover the right side edge of the rim..and suddenly like a gun shot "POCK-PSSSSSSSSSssssssssssshhhhhhiiiiiiiitttttt".....what the f*ck? I had just ever so slightly touched the rear tire valve stem and it pretty much was severed from the rim!, but left hanging by a thread of rubber. Holy crap..now what? I'm totally pissed off now!!!!! A period of deep breathing followed and more than a few laps around the bike...as a female visitor from another room visits here SUV across the way. She's says nothing to the deranged motorcycle guy. I roll the bike with the now flat rear wheel back into it's parking spot and head to the room to break the bad news to the copilot. Wow...how much worse could it get. Back in the room I relate what has happened and finish my story with "I think we're going home today....I've had enough!" The copilot agree's and settles back into the sheets,...all is lost. I steam and stew for a while knowing full well that I've now got to load a bike with a flat rear tire back on the trailer, I'm not looking forward to that, but I leave the room to get it done. The time now is about 07:30hrs.

So, the bikes back on the trailer with no damage or drama and I've had a chance to cool off a bit and it's about 08:00hrs. So were leaving town...o.k...I'm good with that...but I'm not o.k. with the bikes status. With out a rear tire that holds air the rim is sure to get more then a bit beat up (I think) as we transit the 600 plus miles home. I head back to the room and ask the copilot, "There phone book in here?" He pulls the night stand drawer open and tosses me the Yellow pages..and I go looking for motorcycle repair shops. I find the Pigeon Forge Harley dealer pronto and take note of the location...."Oh wait...that's right around the corner from our hotel from the last trip to Pigeon Forge...cool!" thinks me. Wait a min...what if they pull that ole'...."Well seeings as yer no Harley rider yer just gonna have ta wait ya'lls turn to git that thar tire fixed."routine? I find another sport bike shop in Sevierville and make note of it's location and opening hours.. Mountain Motorsports Inc.,...but it's about 40min's away (according to Garmin GPS). If nothing else I've got to have that tire fixed for the trip home. So we bust a move to the H-D shop in P-Forge to check it out. By 08:30 we are at the Harley dealer and there is no sign of life to indicate that anything is open. Of course not,..it's only 08:30. Most likely they open at 09:00 right? Hmmm...we could be rolling to Mtn Motorsports and be there by the time the H-D guys open. Moving is better than sittin' so we hit the road for Sevierville with Mtn Motorsports plugged into the GPS.

We hit Mtm Moto and it's just opened. It's some kinda shop, they sell everything, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Ducati. The service manager comes out to look at the bike, "Wow..that's a nice one!" "Thanks" says me. He then snaps a bunch of photo's of it..I've no idea why,...maybe he collects them? I say, "It needs a valve stem in the rear rim...think you can do it on the trailer?...I've brought the paddock stand so you can just jack it up right there?" "Well I don't know about that. We've never done that before. I'll ask the tech and see what he says." So out comes Jeff and he relates the same.."never done that before" line and then seals the deal with "and we have to test ride it anyway, so it's gotta come off the trailer!" O.k. so that's how it will play out. I pull the rig closer the work area and proceed to unload the bike again by myself. Jeff then rolls it away for the fix. The copilot and I park the rig again and peruse the new bikes in the show room. By 09:30 I here "Mr. Bagley,..your Repsol is ready." Wow..I'm both amazed and pleased that they worked so quick. In another 15 min's the bike is back on the trailer (I'm really getting good at this now), I've made a new friend in the parking lot who rides CB-F's and is trying to help me load the bike, and were headed back to the G-burg. Holy crap what a morning. The weather is still holding.

The rest of the story you kind of already know...a great ride out to the Dragon and a total sh*t show on the return leg to G-burg.

The moral: I don't know if it was here on the Rep site or the Blackbird site or the old CB-F site I visit, but someone once mentioned "And check them stinking valve stems and replace them at tire changes"..or words to that effect. Wow..was that ever driven home on this trip. My bike had 31373km's (19,500 miles approx.) on when the valve stem sheared off. The copilot and I talked (when the shock had worn off that it had failed) that "...it's a good thing it blew off in the garage and not on the road somewhere with us both on the bike!" That for sure would have taken our bad day to the next level. The kicker?...I've got billet 90degree stems sitting in wait at home that were slated for install this year,...but I did not put new rubber on the bike...go figure!

When it rains it some times pours.

T.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	48450 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon2017smallC25.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	48449
    Last edited by TigreST; Aug 17th, 2017 at 08:15 PM.

It never flashes...it's always slow motion!

T.

.......... It freakin poured on us. .....

T.

So the question you ask next is "So how hard did it rain?" See attached. This was in fact the "light rain" on the Dragon. Down on Wears Valley Road it was much worse. Great fun talking about it now...not so much fun livin' it.

T.

Name:	Dragon2017smallD25.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	48452

So the question you ask next is "So how hard did it rain?" See attached. This was in fact the "light rain" on the Dragon. Down on Wears Valley Road it was much worse. Great fun talking about it now...not so much fun livin' it.

T.
    Ouch!

Was caught in the rain not long ago on a 300+ mile ride. About half way through. Pushed through it to sunny skies after 20 mins or so. Great roads after that so it made the last half even better.

Hoping to meet Johnny out there in October. It's been too long since I been there.