Thread: Great day at the track!!!

Master of '09 Hotness! Repsol Dave's Avatar

Name: Dave
    VIN: 2009 #00240

Default Great day at the track!!!

Yesterday was a fun as hell day at New Jersey Motorsports Park! It was my buddies first track day and he just couldn't stop smiling!! As for me, I was having a great day! I saw my lap times drop into the mid to low 1:40's, (The Track Record is a 1:20 set by Josh Hayes,) and I was feeling good about partaking in the 6 lap club race in the superbike class, at the end of the day! The Bridgestone RS-10 tires feel great with tons of grip. Very confidence inspiring. I had no illusions about winning, or ever running up front. But I damn sure wasn't gonna finish in the back either! Unfortunately a late day lowside due to a little water on the track after a mid day thunderstorm. put a stop to all that. Both the bike and I are fine!! The only damage to the Reppie was a bent left bar end, a ground down left frame slider and and ripped off left foot peg. I gotta give props and say thanks again to Mehtab and his crew!! The leathers I got from him did their and job saved my a$$ for the second time. I walked away without a scratch!! If there's any question as to the quality of Janmanshop leathers, I'm here to tell ya, they're first rate!!!! I'll be ordering up a new set soon!!

Anyway, despite the crash it was a fantastic day. I am happy as hell!! The bike is fixed, (took all of 15 mins.) and I'm ready for another track day, and if there's another club race, I'll be in it!!! Here's some pics!

P.S. I don't know why some of the pics are sideways. I tried fixing them, but it didn't help. Sorry.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	me and bike.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	388.9 KB 
ID:	48373 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS 10 Rear.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	48374 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NJMP 3.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	48375 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NJMP 4.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	48376 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crash mid.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	48377 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crash rear.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	48378 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crash full.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	311.8 KB 
ID:	48379 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leathers.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	48380
    Quote Originally Posted by waialaeboy View Post
    ..............Maybe you shoulda picked up an '09...:
    The Sun Never Sets on the '09 Empire!
    RIDE LIKE DAVE!

Name: Mario
    VIN: 2007 #00012

Default Re: Great day at the track!!!

Dave, great pics!!! Sorry to read about the mishap.
    1990 Honda RC30 VFR750R...............1979 Honda CBX Red.......1978 Yamaha RD400
    1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor.......1979 Honda CBX Silver.....2001 CBR1100XX
    1982 Suzuki GS1000 Katana...............1976 Kawasaki KZ900......1982 Kawasaki GPz1100
    1995 Honda CB1000 Big One..............1983 Honda CB1100F......1973 Kawasaki H1 500 Mach 3

Name: William
    VIN: 2005/0520

I can't believe you take that beauty out on the track... if I crashed my Rep I'd be crying my eyes out.

I'm waiting for my suit from @Janmanshop which will match the Gixxer. Nice to hear they are tough enough for the track and saved your butt!

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Master of Repsol Leather Janmanshop's Avatar

Name: Mehtab

Good to know your are safe and sound buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol Dave View Post
    Yesterday was a fun as hell day at New Jersey Motorsports Park! It was my buddies first track day and he just couldn't stop smiling!! As for me, I was having a great day! I saw my lap times drop into the mid to low 1:40's, (The Track Record is a 1:20 set by Josh Hayes,) and I was feeling good about partaking in the 6 lap club race in the superbike class, at the end of the day! The Bridgestone RS-10 tires feel great with tons of grip. Very confidence inspiring. I had no illusions about winning, or ever running up front. But I damn sure wasn't gonna finish in the back either! Unfortunately a late day lowside due to a little water on the track after a mid day thunderstorm. put a stop to all that. Both the bike and I are fine!! The only damage to the Reppie was a bent left bar end, a ground down left frame slider and and ripped off left foot peg. I gotta give props and say thanks again to Mehtab and his crew!! The leathers I got from him did their and job saved my a$$ for the second time. I walked away without a scratch!! If there's any question as to the quality of Janmanshop leathers, I'm here to tell ya, they're first rate!!!! I'll be ordering up a new set soon!!

Anyway, despite the crash it was a fantastic day. I am happy as hell!! The bike is fixed, (took all of 15 mins.) and I'm ready for another track day, and if there's another club race, I'll be in it!!! Here's some pics!

P.S. I don't know why some of the pics are sideways. I tried fixing them, but it didn't help. Sorry.....

Name: Hillbilly

Bummer about the low side Dave. Glad you gadgets worked like they were supposed to. @Janmanshop leathers are a great investment. Can't go wrong with them. Good to see you're safe buddy!! #RideOn
    When in doubt, power out!

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

Dave,

Do the RS10 tires need tire warmers? Currently I'm on Bridgestone T30 Evos which held up fine on the track but I'd like to try some more grip but without needing warmers. From the bikes I've ridden with different tires, I seem to prefer the Bridgestones.

Master of '09 Hotness! Repsol Dave's Avatar

Name: Dave
    VIN: 2009 #00240

Quote Originally Posted by TrackSol View Post
    Dave,

Do the RS10 tires need tire warmers? Currently I'm on Bridgestone T30 Evos which held up fine on the track but I'd like to try some more grip but without needing warmers. From the bikes I've ridden with different tires, I seem to prefer the Bridgestones.
    No, the RS10's do not need tire warmers. But definitely make sure they're properly scrubbed in, and I would advise contacting Bridgestone and getting a good baseline track tire pressure setting. 31psi front / 28psi rear is working well for me so far on the track, then I bump them back up for the street. Of course ambient air and track temps play a role also. They grip great. Don't expect to get a long life out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by waialaeboy View Post
    ..............Maybe you shoulda picked up an '09...:
    The Sun Never Sets on the '09 Empire!
    RIDE LIKE DAVE!

Margarita Peace Keeper Thrasher's Avatar

Name: Thrasher
    VIN: 2007/0049

Thumbs up Re: Great day at the track!!!

Sounds like a great day, to bad about the lowside but it sounds like it was well worth it.
    “Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.”
    – Stirling Moss
    The Sun Never Sets on the 07 Empire!

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol Dave View Post
    No, the RS10's do not need tire warmers. But definitely make sure they're properly scrubbed in, and I would advise contacting Bridgestone and getting a good baseline track tire pressure setting. 31psi front / 28psi rear is working well for me so far on the track, then I bump them back up for the street. Of course ambient air and track temps play a role also. They grip great. Don't expect to get a long life out of them.
    Thanks for the tip. I may try to source another set of wheels and use the RS10's just for track days.

Name: William
    VIN: 2005/0520

I'm new to the tire warmer thing. I usually follow the advice of my track buddies on when to warm the tires. I'm running Dunlup Q3s on the track, and at my last track day I used warmers for the first few sessions but then the outside air temp got so hot, we just put the warmers on in between session without any power for the remainder of the day. Just make sure you set your tire pressure in the morning when the tires are cold before putting them on the tire warmers. Makes air adjustments easier when you can measure the temp differences from the initial cold measurement, and adjust accordingly.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.