Thread: Update: One more victim of piston rings/cylinder walls

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

Default Update: One more victim of piston rings/cylinder walls

Well, my number came up. Around 38,975 miles I noticed a rough idle. I also had sluggish performance off idle to around 2750. It would cold idle at around 1200 and then when warm would drop to around 950. Sometimes it would die. If I blipped the throttle during warm up, the revs would drop to around 800 and the engine would die. After that it wouldn't restart by just pressing the start button; I would then have to hold the throttle wide open to restart it. As the days went on it progressively got worse. Sometimes would die at stoplights or stop signs when pulling the clutch in or in neutral, necessitating maintenance throttle to idle high enough.

When I first noticed the rough idle, this is everything I did:
    38,986 Cleaned and oiled BMC air filter
    39,054 Added 2qts of oil (mind you the last oil change was at 36,405)
    39,100 Cleaned Idle Valve, adjusted PSR manual cam chain tensioner
    39,307 Installed new Sprint Filters P08 air filter
    39,357 Replaced spark plugs NGK 7556 IMR9E-9HES
    39,410 Inspected fuel pump inlet strainer filter (gunked up), removed temporarily
    39,600 Performed valve adjustment (5 valves tight), no change to idle
    39,783 Compression test (cold): 29, 31, 139, 160

Well that would explain it. So I sourced a 2012 engine with 11K miles and just replaced it this past weekend.

The crank in my 2009 engine was replaced at 18,477. I am kicking myself for not having thought of asking them to replace the rings while they had it apart. The first time I added oil was at 22,535 (2qts) and since then it has gotten worse:
    24,010 added half quart
    24,060 oil change next day (shifted to 4000mile oil and filter changes instead of manual recomended 8000)
    25,000 lost drain plug on ride, refilled with cheap oil
    25,105 refilled with Repsol 4T and installed magnetic drain plug w/ safety wire
    26,200 added 100mL Repsol 4T
    26,500 added 1L Motul 300V
    27,649 added 500mL Repsol 4T
    28,168 oil and filter change Shell Rotella T6
    29,000 added 500mL Shell Rotella T6
    32,000 oil and filter change Shell Rotella T6
    33,728 added 1qt Castrol
    36,405 oil and filter change Shell Rotella T6
    39,054 added 2qts Shell Rotella T6

In all that time I've never had contamination in the oil or coolant. Even though it is possible to have a leaking headgasket without cross contamination, based on the oil consumption I'm betting it's the rings/cylinder walls and not the head gasket.

I plan on taking the old engine apart and figuring out what exactly went wrong. For now, I've got a 2009/2012 Frankenblade.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compression.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	48836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surgery.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	48838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engines.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	48837
    Last edited by TrackSol; Oct 7th, 2018 at 09:31 PM.

Name: Hillbilly

Default Re: Update: One more victim of piston rings/cylinder walls

Damn the luck! At least you weren’t stranded out in the middle of nowhere though. Might as well add some go fast goodies while you got it down.
    When in doubt, power out!

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Bomb View Post
    Damn the luck! At least you weren’t stranded out in the middle of nowhere though. Might as well add some go fast goodies while you got it down.
    You're right. At least it all happened close to home during my daily work commute and I was able to diagnose and fix it at home.

I'd like to do some upgrades, but sadly won't be able to at this time. The bike is actually my primary transportation which is the main reason I went with a replacement engine. I guess I was pretty lucky to determine low compression, source an engine, and install it all within the same week.

Depending on the results of the tear down, I may decide to overbore and replate the cylinders and go with aftermarket pistons and rings. If I end up doing that, then I'll probably send the head off to get worked on. How's that for go fast goodies?

Name: Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by TrackSol View Post
    You're right. At least it all happened close to home during my daily work commute and I was able to diagnose and fix it at home.

I'd like to do some upgrades, but sadly won't be able to at this time. The bike is actually my primary transportation which is the main reason I went with a replacement engine. I guess I was pretty lucky to determine low compression, source an engine, and install it all within the same week.

Depending on the results of the tear down, I may decide to overbore and replate the cylinders and go with aftermarket pistons and rings. If I end up doing that, then I'll probably send the head off to get worked on. How's that for go fast goodies?
    Sounds like you have some good plans for kore power. Would love to send my motor off and ha e it rebuilt with all the goodies one day.
    When in doubt, power out!

Name: William
    VIN: 2005/0520

Wow that sucks, I saw all this on Instagram... can't believe how quickly you swapped out the engine.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.