Thread: Battery threw in the towel

Name: Michael
    VIN: 2005/01174

Default Battery threw in the towel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150303_102518.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	48944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150303_114000.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	48945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150303_102108.jpg 
Views:	10 
ID:	48946 With this system if the power goes out the charger wont turn back on. Reppie has an alarm so it has a constant drain on the DEAD battery not being charged. So after seeing the the charger wasnt in the "STORE MODE" and the battery being undercharged. charger throws a fault code. cell bad . Would'nt of went bad if there was'nt a contant drain. So unless you look at the charger system once a week or remove any loads.MFG told me to go old school Lead acid
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough." - Nicky Hayden R.I.P. 2017

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

Default Re: Battery threw in the towel

Quote Originally Posted by crapgame View Post

ID:	48946 With this system if the power goes out the charger wont turn back on. Reppie has an alarm so it has a constant drain on the DEAD battery not being charged. So after seeing the the charger wasnt in the "STORE MODE" and the battery being undercharged. charger throws a fault code. cell bad . Would'nt of went bad if there was'nt a contant drain. So unless you look at the charger system once a week or remove any loads.MFG told me to go old school Lead acid
    For the Shorai charger not to turn back on after the power goes out and comes back is a stupid design.

I have the same battery but opted NOT to use the Shorai special charger. I thought having to take the seat off to connect the charger's special plug to the battery was a major inconvenience. I bought a Deltran Battery Tender that is compatible with Lithium batteries, that way I could use the industry standard quick connect pigtail to hook up the charger. I leave the charger on the workbench plugged in and use a 10ft extension lead to connect to the bike. The Deltran charger also turns back if the power in the house goes out and comes back on. I've had this Shorai/Deltran charger combo for 4 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackSol View Post
    For the Shorai charger not to turn back on after the power goes out and comes back is a stupid design.

I have the same battery but opted NOT to use the Shorai special charger. I thought having to take the seat off to connect the charger's special plug to the battery was a major inconvenience. I bought a Deltran Battery Tender that is compatible with Lithium batteries, that wayI could use the industry standard quick connect pigtail to hook up the charger. The Deltran charger also turns back if the power in the house goes out and comes back on. I've had this Shorai/Deltran charger combo for 4 years now.
    See center pic. mine is hard wired. just remove the rear cowl. all my tenders are hard wired just plug and play. another bike had a new lead acid battery with tender it was dead hot and swelled on the side. an expensive day lol

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

See center pic. mine is hard wired. just remove the rear cowl. all my tenders are hard wired just plug and play. another bike had a new lead acid battery with tender it was dead hot and swelled on the side. an expensive day lol
    I saw your second pic. I just thought you had the charger placed there. So are you saying that you have the actual charger itself installed on the bike at all times and all you do is remove the rear cowl and then connect the charger's 120VAC plug into the wall/extension? That's quite.....odd. I don't believe the charger is designed to be on the bike like that. Typically electrical components designed for an environment where there are lights of vibrations will have "potted" electronics.

Regarding "tenders", not all tenders are the same. The word tender is used kind of like "coke" for soft drinks and many people use the term for all sorts of chargers, trickle chargers, etc. The Deltran Battery Tender brand is actually trademarked and they have protection circuitry to protect batteries. They have mulitple chargers for use with different battery types. Anyway, I fully trust in them as do millions of others.

Regarding a lead-acid swelling, that is the nature of the beast when it comes to that type of battery as they age or aren't properly maintained. I would never put a lead acid battery on a motorcycle. At a minimum I would use an AGM battery.

The fact that your battery died has nothing to do with it being lithium, but rather that you have a constant drain on the battery due to the alarm and that the charger doesn't turn back on when the power returns after and outage. That's why I recommended another brand charger that I know works with the exact battery you have since that's what I've been using, should you decide to get another Shorai battery or other lithium for the quality, performance, and lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackSol View Post
    I saw your second pic. I just thought you had the charger placed there. So are you saying that you have the actual charger itself installed on the bike at all times and all you do is remove the rear cowl and then connect the charger's 120VAC plug into the wall/extension? That's quite.....odd. I don't believe the charger is designed to be on the bike like that. Typically electrical components designed for an environment where there are lights of vibrations will have "potted" electronics.

Regarding "tenders", not all tenders are the same. The word tender is used kind of like "coke" for soft drinks and many people use the term for all sorts of chargers, trickle chargers, etc. The Deltran Battery Tender brand is actually trademarked and they have protection circuitry to protect batteries. They have mulitple chargers for use with different battery types. Anyway, I fully trust in them as do millions of others.

Regarding a lead-acid swelling, that is the nature of the beast when it comes to that type of battery as they age or aren't properly maintained. I would never put a lead acid battery on a motorcycle. At a minimum I would use an AGM battery.

The fact that your battery died has nothing to do with it being lithium, but rather that you have a constant drain on the battery due to the alarm and that the charger doesn't turn back on when the power returns after and outage. That's why I recommended another brand charger that I know works with the exact battery you have since that's what I've been using, should you decide to get another Shorai battery or other lithium for the quality, performance, and lightweight.
    your right i dont remove seat just cowling to store/ charge battery. moduler hard wiring too short another flaw. . just whent with shorai's complete system. live and learn

Margarita Peace Keeper Thrasher's Avatar

Name: Thrasher
    VIN: 2007/0049

ID:	48946 With this system if the power goes out the charger wont turn back on. Reppie has an alarm so it has a constant drain on the DEAD battery not being charged. So after seeing the the charger isn't in the "STORE MODE" and the battery being undercharged. charger throws a fault code. cell bad . Wouldn't of went bad if there wasn't a constant drain. So unless you look at the charger system once a week or remove any loads.MFG told me to go old school Lead acid
    I have the same set up for a couple years and have had no problem yet, but then every time I use the bike I double check the charger is working, In addition I have the plug permanently attached to bike and it hangs down behind the license plate, the charger comes down from the ceiling in the place in the garage where I park the bike so it's super easy to plug and unplug and doesn't get in the way of anything.
    “Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.”
    – Stirling Moss
    The Sun Never Sets on the 07 Empire!