Thread: Finally rocking Repsol again

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

Default Finally rocking Repsol again

Ever since my crash in November I had been using my spare track fairings with the 2013 Marquez test livery. I am happy to report that I am now representing the Repsol army again. I was able to find some aftermarket fairings painted VERY similar to OEM, with the dark pearl blue instead of black like in all the other aftermarket fairings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chinarep.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	48961

Name: Paul
    VIN: 2015/0111

Cool Re: Finally rocking Repsol again

Excellent colors!
    2015 Repsol SP,Sato lever guards,HRC reservoir socks,Tech Spec clear tank pads,4x Go Pro mounts,Shorai battery,Shock recall completed,Repsol Hugger,R&G Ti radiator guard,frame and f/r axle sliders,tail tidy,Motobriiz chain luber,Rene/FP Racing rear caliper relocator bracket in BK Camo. 2013 Red Fury for a daily driver.

Name: Hillbilly

Default Re: Finally rocking Repsol again

Quote Originally Posted by TrackSol View Post
    Ever since my crash in November I had been using my spare track fairings with the 2013 Marquez test livery. I am happy to report that I am now representing the Repsol army again. I was able to find some aftermarket fairings painted VERY similar to OEM, with the dark pearl blue instead of black like in all the other aftermarket fairings.
    Good to hear! Can I ask which company you used? I need fairings and only doing OEM or ones that ha e the Siren Blue paint.
    When in doubt, power out!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Bomb View Post
    Good to hear! Can I ask which company you used? I need fairings and only doing OEM or ones that ha e the Siren Blue paint.
    The seller I used was 12k_motor. They say they are from Austrailia but the fairings shipped from China. Maybe they outsource the painting. Anyway, thier listings for the Repsol fairings shows black in the parts that are supposed to be Siren Blue, however I noticed that they were the only ones that were showing Honda logos, replica tank badges, and raised CBR emblem on the side fairings (2009), so I decided to write to them and ask them if they can do blue instead of black. They said they can do any changes and asked me to send them pictures of the color. I sent them pictures from various angles showing off the blue, and used the edit feature on my phone to draw circles around all the areas that needed to be blue. They did send me a couple pictures before final clear coat showing the color to see if I was satisfied. The colors were near identical.

I few issues I did have though:

- Originally I asked them to paint the stripes on the tank to a carbon effect to try and make it like OEM, but it ended up looking like the cheap carbon knockoff parts, so I made them change it back to black. That costed me an extra $30 adjustment fee. I would stick to black on the tank stripes.

- I also intially asked them to paint the black parts on the tank a few mm away from the edge letting the orange show through like it is on the OEM tank, instead of taking the black all the way to the edge. If you get real close, you can sort of see the lines drawn by pencil or something to help them paint those edges. I think in the rush to change the tank stripes back to black they weren't as carefull as they were initially. I wouldn't say anything to them and let them do the black parts all the way to the edge. I was a just a perfectionist, but in the end hardly anybody will ever notice the difference.

- There were couple things that weren't exactly centered or crooked. The tips of the top tank stripes are ever so slightly not centered/mirrored. Barely noticeable. However one that is noticible is that the Repsol sticker on the front mudguard is very visibily crooked, like 10 degrees.

- There are a few points that weren't completely painted that I would tell them to makes sure to do. The very edge of the side fairings on the rear corners that are closest the frame could have been painted a bit better where the paint should overlap or roll over completely. The four underside tips of the tank cover look a bit unfinished as if they painted it while it was setting on a table. The backside of the nose fairing is white instead of the siren blue like on my 2009.

- Apart from those few issues with the painting process, the paint quality itself is excellent. I only found 2 small imperfections in the paint. All the decals are under the clear coat.

- Finally, the fairings themselves are the ZXMT aftermarket brand. They seem to be the most common brand. My other fairings I bought as track fairings a couple years ago from a different seller are the same brand. They held up quite well, though they are a bit more stiff than the OEM fairings. The only place this is an issue is in seat fairing. Getting it on and off the subframe can be quite difficult and nerve racking. You feel like the fairing might break and if you are not carefull you will scratch your subframe. As typical of aftermarket fairings, some of the tabs might be oversized or have flashing marks that have to be trimmed to fit properly. The biggest challenge on the CBR 2008-2011 fairings is where the side fairings and bottom fairing come together. The tabs can either be a bit too wide or too thick to fit in the holes, or the holes slightly too small. I would definitely work with this off the bike to get them perfect. Other that, all the other holes line up near perfectly. Oh, the screw holes to mount the trim pieces to the side fairings are slightly smaller than OEM, so do NOT reuse the OEM screws or the screws they provide as they will split the molded screw holes. I learned this lesson from the previous fairings I bought. Go to the hardware store and get thinner screws.

Sorry for the novel, but I hope it helps. In the end, I would definitely deal with them again.

Name: Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by TrackSol View Post
    The seller I used was 12k_motor. They say they are from Austrailia but the fairings shipped from China. Maybe they outsource the painting. Anyway, thier listings for the Repsol fairings shows black in the parts that are supposed to be Siren Blue, however I noticed that they were the only ones that were showing Honda logos, replica tank badges, and raised CBR emblem on the side fairings (2009), so I decided to write to them and ask them if they can do blue instead of black. They said they can do any changes and asked me to send them pictures of the color. I sent them pictures from various angles showing off the blue, and used the edit feature on my phone to draw circles around all the areas that needed to be blue. They did send me a couple pictures before final clear coat showing the color to see if I was satisfied. The colors were near identical.

I few issues I did have though:

- Originally I asked them to paint the stripes on the tank to a carbon effect to try and make it like OEM, but it ended up looking like the cheap carbon knockoff parts, so I made them change it back to black. That costed me an extra $30 adjustment fee. I would stick to black on the tank stripes.

- I also intially asked them to paint the black parts on the tank a few mm away from the edge letting the orange show through like it is on the OEM tank, instead of taking the black all the way to the edge. If you get real close, you can sort of see the lines drawn by pencil or something to help them paint those edges. I think in the rush to change the tank stripes back to black they weren't as carefull as they were initially. I wouldn't say anything to them and let them do the black parts all the way to the edge. I was a just a perfectionist, but in the end hardly anybody will ever notice the difference.

- There were couple things that weren't exactly centered or crooked. The tips of the top tank stripes are ever so slightly not centered/mirrored. Barely noticeable. However one that is noticible is that the Repsol sticker on the front mudguard is very visibily crooked, like 10 degrees.

- There are a few points that weren't completely painted that I would tell them to makes sure to do. The very edge of the side fairings on the rear corners that are closest the frame could have been painted a bit better where the paint should overlap or roll over completely. The four underside tips of the tank cover look a bit unfinished as if they painted it while it was setting on a table. The backside of the nose fairing is white instead of the siren blue like on my 2009.

- Apart from those few issues with the painting process, the paint quality itself is excellent. I only found 2 small imperfections in the paint. All the decals are under the clear coat.

- Finally, the fairings themselves are the ZXMT aftermarket brand. They seem to be the most common brand. My other fairings I bought as track fairings a couple years ago from a different seller are the same brand. They held up quite well, though they are a bit more stiff than the OEM fairings. The only place this is an issue is in seat fairing. Getting it on and off the subframe can be quite difficult and nerve racking. You feel like the fairing might break and if you are not carefull you will scratch your subframe. As typical of aftermarket fairings, some of the tabs might be oversized or have flashing marks that have to be trimmed to fit properly. The biggest challenge on the CBR 2008-2011 fairings is where the side fairings and bottom fairing come together. The tabs can either be a bit too wide or too thick to fit in the holes, or the holes slightly too small. I would definitely work with this off the bike to get them perfect. Other that, all the other holes line up near perfectly. Oh, the screw holes to mount the trim pieces to the side fairings are slightly smaller than OEM, so do NOT reuse the OEM screws or the screws they provide as they will split the molded screw holes. I learned this lesson from the previous fairings I bought. Go to the hardware store and get thinner screws.

Sorry for the novel, but I hope it helps. In the end, I would definitely deal with them again.
    Awesome write up my friend! I greatly appreciate the detail. I will def check with them and see if I can make something happen. Iím very picky and OCD so I look at details very close. Small things can bother me greatly. I may go the OEM route or buy OEM plastics and buy the paint myself and paint them. The stickers/decals can be found or made easily Iím sure. A few I already have from another member. Iíd like to get my back back to mint this year after a low side on track last April. It really hurt my feelings. I have the nose and my right sides and tank are good. The left sides are needed and the tail too. Been looking around but havenít seen any up for grabs. Again, thanks for the info and details! Ride safe my friend!
    When in doubt, power out!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Bomb View Post
    Awesome write up my friend! I greatly appreciate the detail. I will def check with them and see if I can make something happen. I’m very picky and OCD so I look at details very close. Small things can bother me greatly. I may go the OEM route or buy OEM plastics and buy the paint myself and paint them. The stickers/decals can be found or made easily I’m sure. A few I already have from another member. I’d like to get my back back to mint this year after a low side on track last April. It really hurt my feelings. I have the nose and my right sides and tank are good. The left sides are needed and the tail too. Been looking around but haven’t seen any up for grabs. Again, thanks for the info and details! Ride safe my friend!
    I also looked on the internet for a long time to find used OEM fairings in good condition and came up empty.

The OEM fairings come with the decals already applied. In my crash, the only fairing pieces that weren't damaged was the red piece under the tail and the tank cover which was sun faded anyway. Eventually I plan on getting all new OEM fairings, but for now, I just couldn't swing the $2,000 for a complete set.