Thread: Hello from Canada

Name: Chris

Default Hello from Canada

Hey Everyone, I am going to look at what I hope to be my first Repsol 1000rr later this week. 2004, 3,600km's. All fluids changed, new chain and sprockets, new air filters, new brake pads, LED turn signals, new tires, rear fender eliminate, valves adjusted, stainless Jardine RT-1 single pipe under seat. Owner is Aircraft Engineer who also does some work for my local bike shop. He went over the bike completely. Bike looks perfect.

I've been riding street for 24 years. Love the look of the bike, the handling, and the broad power band.

How many other 2004's are there on the forum?

Glad to be on the forum, and looking forward to the advice and expertise available here.

'76 Yamaha TY175
    '84 Honda V30 Magna
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    2004 Kawasaki Versys 650
    2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
    2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
    2016 Yamaha FZ07
    Last edited by Hyperhad; Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:34 AM.

Margarita Peace Keeper Thrasher's Avatar

Name: Thrasher
    VIN: 2007/0049

Default Re: Hello from Canada

Welcome to the Forum , I dont think there was ever a 2004 in the USA.
    “Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.”
    – Stirling Moss
    The Sun Never Sets on the 07 Empire!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    Welcome to the Forum , I dont think there was ever a 2004 in the USA.
    Hey Thrasher, thanks for the feedback. This seems to be difficult to nail down. I found this from the Honda site. It shows a 2004 Repsol. But, they call it a "special edition". That term is tossed around a lot. Whether it means a limited number produced, or, the Repsol fairings, there is no information. Here is the website (the pictures did not attach, but the website does show it.:

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2...000rr-eng.html

Honda Announces Minor Modifications on CBR1000RR Super Sport Bike and New Limited CBR1000RR Special Edition

October 20, 2004, Japan Motorcycle
    October 20, 2004-Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced today that it will release a new version of the popular CBR1000RR super sport bike, powered by a lightweight, compact, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, DOHC in-line four-cylinder engine. The new model, featuring minor changes, will go on sale Thursday, October 21st.

Honda will also launch a limited-release CBR1000RR Special Edition, with the same coloring as the machine run by the Repsol Honda Team in the MotoGP FIM 2004 Road Race Championship Series-the pinnacle of motorcycle road racing. The Special Edition will debut on Tuesday, November 9th.

The CBR1000RR, which incorporates many of the styling features and advanced technologies of Honda's two-time MotoGP championship-winning RC211V racing machine, has been very well received since its debut in April this year.

The latest model includes a clear overcoat finish on the fuel tank cover for an enhanced quality feel, and hazard lights as standard equipment.

Vivid Candy Tahitian Blue has been added to the currently available Winning Red and Pearl Fadeless White color selections, for three colors in all.

Coloring on the CBR1000RR Special Edition features 'Repsol' lettering on both side cowls over a keynote of Pearl Siren Blue, and also includes a sponsors' sticker kit.
    CBR1000RR
    CBR1000RR
    CBR1000RRSpecial Edition
    CBR1000RRSpecial Edition
    Annual sales target (Japan)
    CBR1000RR 1,000 units
    CBR1000RRSpecial Edition 700 units (limited)

Is this just Japan?

Thanks.

I would guess since it was October 2004 that the press release meant the bike would be a 2005 model year.
    – Stirling Moss

I would guess since it was October 2004 that the press release meant the bike would be a 2005 model year.
    Thanks Thrasher. I called a Honda dealer in a larger city. He searched the Honda parts database, and he only found Repsol parts listed beginning in 2005. So, it looks like the 2004 for sale here is not a "true" Repsol edition but a CBR1000rr with Repsol plastics. I know, same bike. Disappointing though. Now I have to decide whether I want to pull the trigger on the bike. It is in excellent shape, maintained by an Aircraft Engineer, 3,600 kilometres. He's asking 7K. I was going to offer him 6k. Looks a bit high, based upon other models. Unfortunately, I live in a smaller city, 8 hours away from the nearest larger city where there are several Repsols for close to, or lower, than his price. I'll have to think about this.

Any opinions appreciated!

I think the price is high but it depends on the modifications and the value of the Canadian dollar to US dollar..Or is that price in US dollars, post a list of all the parts and modifications added to the bike and look up the cost of a good condition 2004 and Repsol plastics kit.
    – Stirling Moss

I think the price is high but it depends on the modifications and the value of the Canadian dollar to US dollar..Or is that price in US dollars, post a list of all the parts and modifications added to the bike and look up the cost of a good condition 2004 and Repsol plastics kit.
    Looked up pricing for parts in Canada. $3,500 with our great 13% tax. His labour??

One CAD dollar = 0.76USD

Brake pads $88.00
    Rear sprocket 55.00
    Front sprocket 25.00
    Air filter X2 $60.00
    Fork seals $20.00
    Oil filter 13.00
    Spark plugs X4 96.00
    Chain 362.00
    LED Flush lights 80.00
    Fender delete kit 265.00
    Jardine slip on exhaust $590.00
    Tires $500.00
    Fork oil 15.00
    Coolant 30.00
    Engine oil 40.00
    Brake fluid 14.00
    Valve adjust 300.00
    Chinese fairings 470.00

I found an '05 for 4900.00 but lots of miles and unknown history. There are newer Repsols in the province, some in the 6k range, similar accessories, higher miles. I would have to have inspection done and ship it here, say $800.00. No guarantee or recourse if it is crap.

6k CAD equals 4,590USD

Waiting on the VIN from seller

Thanks!

Name: Mario
    VIN: 2007 #00012

Not too bad a price......
    2001 Honda CBR1100XX...............1979 Honda CBX Red.......1978 Honda XL250S
    1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor..1979 Honda CBX Silver....1987 Honda XL600R
    1982 Suzuki GS1000 Katana..........1976 Kawasaki KZ900......1982 Kawasaki GPz1100
    1995 Honda CB1000 Big One.........2006 Yamaha TW200

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

The bike could very well have been manufactured in late 2004 but sold as a 2005 model year bike. I've come across that quite a bit on bikes that I've worked on. The only way to know would be to have the VIN ran at the Honda dealer to see if it comes up as a Repsol. As far as I know, all the 2005 Repsol editions had black frames, so it's one of the easier ones for people to fake since the non Repsols also had black frames.

Another way to check would be to look at the fairings. All the aftermarket Repsol fairings that I have seen had a black base color instead of the Pearl Siren Blue. At least that is the case with the ready to buy ones on eBay.

The aftermarket fairings I bought to replace mine on my 2009 after my crash had to be custom painted, and I went back and forth with the company to get the coloring right. Even still, you can tell up close that they are painted aftermarket fairings due to the how the edges are finished and the coloring under the nose fairing.

Good luck. Hope that local bike turns out to be a real Repsol. I would hate to have to drive 8 hours. Could make it a family weekend trip though...