Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy or not buy?

Name: Chris

Default Buy or not buy?

Hey all. There is a 2004 CBR1000rr for sale here. The sellers lists it as a Repsol. 2005 was the first year for the Repsol model. The bike is in excellent shape. 3,600 kilometres, all new fluids, air filters, rear tail delete, valves adjusted, new tires, chain, sprockets, Jardine stainless under seat single slip-on. He's an Aircraft Engineer, and has gone over the bike completely.

I wanted a ":true" Repsol edition bike. The bike itself is excellent. He's asking 7k. I was going to offer 6k. I live in a smaller city, and the closest large city is 8 hours away. There are a fair number of '05+ Repsols for sale there for the same, or less money. This bike is here now, and in excellent shape.

I could have a bike from a larger city shipped here, but there is the issue of potential mechanical issues. I will not be able to see the bike, or ride it.

Have any members had a bike shipped from another location, buying sight unseen? Has it worked out? What could I do to make sure I get a bike in good shape?

I love the look of the Repsol fairings. They will be Chinese copies, I'm pretty sure.

The Repsol is my grail bike. I know that only I can make the decision, and that if I am happy with it, I should just buy this one, and live with it. I am thinking, and would appreciate others opinions.

Thoughts?

Name: Mario
    VIN: 2007 #00012

Default Re: Buy or not buy?

It could be a 05 Repsol manufactured in 04...you need the vin number and then ask Honda ( a dealer ) to look it up and see if its a legit repsol.
    6K seems s little high but then I'm not familiar with prices in Canada.....
    1990 Honda RC30 VFR750R...............1979 Honda CBX Red.......1978 Yamaha RD400
    1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor..1979 Honda CBX Silver....2001 CBR1100XX
    1982 Suzuki GS1000 Katana..........1976 Kawasaki KZ900......1982 Kawasaki GPz1100
    1995 Honda CB1000 Big One.........

check this out....
    1990 Honda RC30 VFR750R...............1979 Honda CBX Red.......1978 Yamaha RD400
    1982 Suzuki GS1000 Katana..........1976 Kawasaki KZ900......1982 Kawasaki GPz1100

Quote Originally Posted by SIXDOG View Post
    It could be a 05 Repsol manufactured in 04...you need the vin number and then ask Honda ( a dealer ) to look it up and see if its a legit repsol.
    6K seems s little high but then I'm not familiar with prices in Canada.....
    Hey six, thanks for the thoughts. I did email him earlier to ask for the VIN. The local Honda dealership will check it out for me. 6k is higher than those 8 hours away, but this is here now. Being somewhat isolated, we pay more as there is less competition. I would be closer to 4k if in a major city. Once I verify the VIN, I can talk to the seller and discuss the issue. He may go lower, but not sure. His original price was 9K!

Thanks

check this out....
    Hey six. Yes, watched it a few times already!

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

I personally wouldn't buy a bike sight unseen, especially not a used bike. There are many things that one should look out for. For example, scratches or gouges in certan locations can be used as indicators that the bike has been down. Other things to take note of are old brittle brake lines or worn chain and sprockets which may indicate the level of care with general maintenance and can even be talking points for price negotiation.

The only exception would be buying a bike from this forum from a well respected member. I forget who it was, but shortly after I bought my 09, a member on here from New York was selling his 09 in pristine condition with brand new OEM fairings. I wish I had waited and bought his.

Ok. I went to the seller house, looked at the bike and spoke with him for a couple of hours. The good news is that he has torn the bike apart and re-assembled with new parts whatever was needed. Valves and compression test as well as all previously-montioned parts. He is meticulous, as a guy who fixes airplane engines should be. He is passionate about his work. He has restored several bikes that were toast. He is almost finished building a 50's hotrod. He built the engine, shaped any sheet metal that was needed for body panels (no fibreglass). He is teaching his son and daughter to work on bikes and cars too. A great guy.

The not so good: The bike was raced by the previous owner (thus the low mileage). It is an '04, so not a "real" Repsol. Chinese plastics.

He will not budge from his 7k asking price.

Opinions?

Your call but personally I would pass......why?

Rebuilt engine...I wasn't there to supervise the work and impossible to verify if parts were replaced etc.

Bike was raced

Not a true repsol so value is simply not there

Not willing to budge on price that is already a bit high

Again, your call.

Your call but personally I would pass......why?

Rebuilt engine...I wasn't there to supervise the work and impossible to verify if parts were replaced etc.

Bike was raced

Not a true repsol so value is simply not there

Not willing to budge on price that is already a bit high

Again, your call.
    Hey six. I do trust the seller. In the two hours I spent with him, his passion and love for all things mechanical really showed. I believe that he did what he said, and well. He works on a lot of muscle cars in the area, including exotics like Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, older bikes, and classic muscle cars. And, the fact that he is a professional aircraft engineer speak well of him. The fact that he told me about the racing past of the bike shows his integrity.

The non-Repsol does bother me, and the Chinese plastics too.

His price is too high for me. I would have been in for 6k. before meeting him and finding out about the racing, non-Repsol, and off-brand plastics.

He did say he would do any work on the bike if I needed. I may ask him whether he would fix any race-related engine issues if they appeared. I'm pretty sure he would.

Ultimately, I think the price is too high as well. Too bad, because I don't see any Repsols coming to my town. There is one 600, and a 125 that I have not seen, but he knows the owners. That's it.

I could live with the bike being an '04 with Chinese fairings. I truly believe the bike is mechanically as good as it can be. The price, and the bike's race history are the big reasons I am put off.

I told him I would give him an answer today. So, I'll contact him, ask about the engine rebuild, and whether he would fix any mechanical issues that arise. I'll mention the non-Repsol year and Chinese plastics, and tell him that 7k is just too much for me, with the bike not being a true Repsol. That will leave the ball in his court

If he comes down in price, and agrees to do any repairs that are needed as a result of the racing, I MAY consider it. Also noticed a set of red plastics on a shelf in his garage. I'm thinking that those are the originals from the bike.

This helps me work things out. I am disappointed, but, we'll see.

Thanks for listening six.

No worries brother...In the ned the important thing is if your happy with the bike.
    Good Luck brother...keep us posted.

No worries brother...In the ned the important thing is if your happy with the bike.
    Good Luck brother...keep us posted.

Will do six. Waiting to see if he replies to my email. I'll keep looking in the mean time. Something else may come up locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperhad View Post
    Will do six. Waiting to see if he replies to my email. I'll keep looking in the mean time. Something else may come up locally.
    Well, he won't budge on price. 2004. Not a Repsol. I can live with all that, but I can't do 7k, I can wait. I have to sell my bike first, so it is not likely this will come together. If it were a true Repsol, newer, I might be able to do it without selling my other bike, but not for this one. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the assists. I stay on the forum and keep up on things here.

understood and way to hold your ground...... nothing good comes easy..... good luck and I'm sure you will find your Repsol.

Margarita Peace Keeper Thrasher's Avatar

Name: Thrasher
    VIN: 2007/0049

For $7500 US dollars you can have my 2007 Nicky Hayden Repsol with all the bells and whistles. I have not made a list yet of all the extras or much effort to really sell it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170725_160357.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	300.9 KB 
ID:	48995 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hottip.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	48996 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170526_175226.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	406.1 KB 
ID:	48997
    “Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.”
    – Stirling Moss
    The Sun Never Sets on the 07 Empire!

understood and way to hold your ground...... nothing good comes easy..... good luck and I'm sure you will find your Repsol.
    Yeah, it wasn't easy to walk away. But, ultimately, it would have been a compromise on my part. There are 4 GSXR's in town for sale, but from my reading, they are not the equal of the CBR. I'll see if anything turns up. Shipping here from a larger city would be tough, a PPI done by an unknown shop, no recourse if it has issues.

I'll be around.

Thanks six.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    For $7500 US dollars you can have my 2007 Nicky Hayden Repsol with all the bells and whistles. I have not made a list yet of all the extras or much effort to really sell it.
    That is a nice one Thrasher! $7,500USD is $9788.70CAD, plus 13% taxes here=$11061.23. Plus whatever import duties apply. Still not that bad though.

Thanks for the photos!

Name: John

I'd pass bro and wait for something better.

Quote Originally Posted by JNSD View Post
    I'd pass bro and wait for something better.
    Yeah, I'm.looking around again. I'm patient.

Name: John

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperhad View Post
    Yeah, I'm.looking around again. I'm patient.
    I waited years to find mine. After I bought it I still came across other bikes that were just as good if not better than what I bought..

Quote Originally Posted by JNSD View Post
    I waited years to find mine. After I bought it I still came across other bikes that were just as good if not better than what I bought..
    Yeah, iv'e been looking for one for a while. That's why when I found this one, even thought it was a 2004, and thus not a real Repsol, but did have the (Chinese) plastics, I was interested. However, the guy would not move on the price of 7k. This was a higher price than others, but those are all an 8-hour drive away. I have never seen a Repsol in my city. There are several in other cities that are far away. None from dealers, so that complicates the process.

I'll continue the quest..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast