Thread: No Repsol this year, and maybe never again.....

Master of '09 Hotness! Repsol Dave's Avatar

Name: Dave
    VIN: 2009 #00240

Default No Repsol this year, and maybe never again.....

There is a rumor floating around the MotoGP paddock that HRC is considering dumping Repsol as a sponsor. Apparently it's gotten all to Spanish. (Translation: Probably Someone at Honda wanted to see Nakagami get the factory ride.....) Anyway, it's just rumor and my sources at HRC would not gimmie any info either way about it. But it might explain why we haven't seen a factory Repsol since the 2016 SP.
    Quote Originally Posted by waialaeboy View Post
    ..............Maybe you shoulda picked up an '09...:
    The Sun Never Sets on the '09 Empire!
    RIDE LIKE DAVE!

Name: Andrew
    VIN: 2005/1335

Default Re: No Repsol this year, and maybe never again.....

well that sucks to hear

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol Dave View Post
    There is a rumor floating around the MotoGP paddock that HRC is considering dumping Repsol as a sponsor. Apparently it's gotten all to Spanish. (Translation: Probably Someone at Honda wanted to see Nakagami get the factory ride.....) Anyway, it's just rumor and my sources at HRC would not gimmie any info either way about it. But it might explain why we haven't seen a factory Repsol since the 2016 SP.
    If Nakagami hasn't been able to pull better results than Crutchlow, how in the world would anybody think he deserved the factory ride. Now I know what some might say: "Well, by that logic, Alex Marquez doesn't deserve it either". Well if we are to compare A.Marquez to Takagami, baby Marquez at least has a Moto3 and Moto2 championship under his belt whereas Nakagami hasn't had an international championship at all, his only championship being the Japanese 125's way back in 2006. In the 5 years Alex has been in Moto2 he has a championship, 8 wins and 23 podiums compared to Taka's 2 wins and 14 podiums in 6 years.

In all honesty, I wish they would have given old Cal the opportunity for his last year. Then they could have put baby Marquez at LCR with Nakagami.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackSol View Post
    If Nakagami hasn't been able to pull better results than Crutchlow, how in the world would anybody think he deserved the factory ride. Now I know what some might say: "Well, by that logic, Alex Marquez doesn't deserve it either". Well if we are to compare A.Marquez to Takagami, baby Marquez at least has a Moto3 and Moto2 championship under his belt whereas Nakagami hasn't had an international championship at all, his only championship being the Japanese 125's way back in 2006. In the 5 years Alex has been in Moto2 he has a championship, 8 wins and 23 podiums compared to Taka's 2 wins and 14 podiums in 6 years.

In all honesty, I wish they would have given old Cal the opportunity for his last year. Then they could have put baby Marquez at LCR with Nakagami.
    In Nakagami's defense. He was on last years, RC213V while Cal was on a 2019 works bike. And While Call had a few podiums, I wouldn't exactly call his season exceptional... Don't get me wrong. I don't think Nakagami deserved the ride, but I don't think Cal did either.
    RIDE LIKE DAVE!

Name: Manny
    VIN: 2009 #00943

In Nakagami's defense. He was on last years, RC213V while Cal was on a 2019 works bike. And While Call had a few podiums, I wouldn't exactly call his season exceptional... Don't get me wrong. I don't think Nakagami deserved the ride, but I don't think Cal did either.
    Fair point, however Cal has had better success last year with last year's bike, LOL.

I think Nakagami (or his sister) probably went to HRC concerned about his future prospects riding a Honda. Maybe Repsol does prefer a Spanish rider on the team, as they always have in their other motorsports partnerships (Carlos Sainz in WRC), but Repsol Honda has had non Spanish riders as well, as long as they are good enough (Doohan, Stoner, Dovizioso, Okada, and another Japanese guy I don't remember).

Maybe Nakagami had hopes of a faster track into the Repsol squad being that he's backed by HRC. I think what he should do is leverage that backing to be on a current bike, that way he's not that far behind the development cycle and can showcase his ability. Though the downside is there is no excuse of being on an older bike to hide behind when not performing well.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid. I just think he needs some more development. He seems pretty stoic, like he feels the pressure of being the only Japanese rider on the grid.

Name: Shane
    VIN: 07/0286

I thought the Factory Ride shouldíve gone to Quattro-whatever-his-name-is. That kid looks fearless and could spike elder Marquezís punch for sure...

As for Repsol model Fireblades becoming obsolete, Iím good with that too. Itís even more rare air that our bikes will be in. The last 10-years or so has seen Honda flood the market with Repsol skinned sport bikes. It makes me sick. Feels so basic. I appreciated when it was on the every-other-year for liter bikes track the best. Still felt like I was riding something extra special...
    Long live the Magnificent '07!!! ()
    Quote Originally Posted by ddgith
    I think an 07 guy should have to pay triple the value, since "yours is the 'sweetest' machine"

Quote Originally Posted by TrackSol View Post
    Fair point, however Cal has had better success last year with last year's bike, LOL.

I think Nakagami (or his sister) probably went to HRC concerned about his future prospects riding a Honda. Maybe Repsol does prefer a Spanish rider on the team, as they always have in their other motorsports partnerships (Carlos Sainz in WRC), but Repsol Honda has had non Spanish riders as well, as long as they are good enough (Doohan, Stoner, Dovizioso, Okada, and another Japanese guy I don't remember).

Maybe Nakagami had hopes of a faster track into the Repsol squad being that he's backed by HRC. I think what he should do is leverage that backing to be on a current bike, that way he's not that far behind the development cycle and can showcase his ability. Though the downside is there is no excuse of being on an older bike to hide behind when not performing well.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid. I just think he needs some more development. He seems pretty stoic, like he feels the pressure of being the only Japanese rider on the grid.
    Let's remember that it's only speculation that Nakagami has anything to do with this in any way. And it's just a rumor that Repsol and Honda are talking about parting ways.
    RIDE LIKE DAVE!