Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 spoke RC51 wheels on my 07

Name: Thom

Default 6 spoke RC51 wheels on my 07

For anyone interested, I monted a pair of '00-'01 6 spoke RC51 wheels on my ride. Somewhat of a pain in the A$$, more than I thought it would be, after checking with the EXPERTS at that other site. The front wheel is .8 lbs heavier than the stocker and the rear is 1.45, but the look is well worth it, IMO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 spoke - 07.jpg 
Views:	1617 
Size:	320.6 KB 
ID:	1129

Name: Chris

Default Re: 6 spoke RC51 wheels on my 07

Thomkat

They look sweet.......Nice job

Borofc

Name: William
    VIN: 2005/0520

Damn dude, that does look sweet!!!!!

Thanks for the props...not as light as my Dymags, on the '05, but I'm almost $1700 ahead of the game this time !!!!

Name: Q
    VIN: 2007/00092 STOLEN!!!

Nice!! Yeah I was askin folks on this forum about swappin to 5 or 6 spoke wheels a couple months ago. People mentioned the rc51's, its nice to see the pics. So what are the details on the swap? you said it was a pain in the ass...what did you have to do? thanks in advance and the wheels look sweeet!!

The front wheel is the pain. Behind the bearing stop, one side has to be bored to accept the bigger axle and inner spacer.

I'm still working on getting the wheel centered, it rubs the rotors bad. After seating the bearings, the axle sapcers are .125" narrower than what the stock wheel measures out. I'm having a friend turn me different spacers so we'll see.

Overall, I guess it isn't too bad. I was under the impression, though, that it was just a matter of swapping to bigger front bearings and that was it. It was mentioned, on that other site, about the rear spacer needing work. I used the RC51 cush with the 1000rr spacers and it is identical to the stocker, slipped right in.

I got the wheels, with cush, from that auction site for $370, spent $240 for coating the wheels, $45 to have the tires swapped and a lot of my time off to get it done, I guess it isn't too bad after all

Back from the dark side! 1eyebrother's Avatar

Name: Jason
    VIN: SOLD

Those are some sweet lookin rims.....

Name: Scott

Even with all the work, I think it is worth it, it looks awesome! Its different too!

Thumbs up Re: 6 spoke RC51 wheels on my 07

Thanks to all for the good words. Hey SSCHRADER, thanks to you, and all of your brothers and sisters, for what y'all do for us and our country. Get home safe and get riding !!!!!

Name: Scott

Don't need to thank me, but I appreciate it, will be home soon, about 1.5 months, after being gone for 22. Cant wait!

Name: daminh

Which site did you get those rims from? I've been looking around for them forever! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by daminhtran View Post
    Which site did you get those rims from? I've been looking around for them forever! Thanks.
    I got the wheels off Ebay. I noticed that the six spoke wheels are not on there very often, I watched for a few months, but the 5 spoke RC51 wheels go through more often.

I lucked out, I got a set of basically brand new wheels, cush drive and sprocket for under $400. I was just about ready to buy the wheels brand new when I saw the auction. Brand new the rear wheel sells for around $500 and the front is around $450, if I remember correctly. The cush unit is in the $100 range.

Here's an auction for the rear wheel....300132595691.... cut and paste this number in the search bar on Ebay
    Last edited by Thomkat; Aug 5th, 2007 at 08:16 AM.

Name: daminh

Thanks for your help. I looked on ebay last night and saw one rear wheel for sale. haha. Do you know of a place that sells them brand new?

Quote Originally Posted by daminhtran View Post
    Thanks for your help. I looked on ebay last night and saw one rear wheel for sale. haha. Do you know of a place that sells them brand new?
    Any dealer should be able to get them. When I was looking, ronayers.com had the best price for the wheels, I think $510 for the rear and $450 for the front, or you could get the rear off of Ebay and just buy the front, save yourself a few bucks.

Name: W

Thumbs up Re: 6 spoke RC51 wheels on my 07

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkat View Post
    For anyone interested, I monted a pair of '00-'01 6 spoke RC51 wheels on my ride. Somewhat of a pain in the A$$, more than I thought it would be, after checking with the EXPERTS at that other site. The front wheel is .8 lbs heavier than the stocker and the rear is 1.45, but the look is well worth it, IMO

Might have to give this a try. I was in the market for some aftermarket rims but this is alot cheaper...Does the bike perform/handle any different from adding the extra weight from the rims?

Name: John
    VIN: 2005 / #0210

Quote Originally Posted by erion racer View Post
    Might have to give this a try. I was in the market for some aftermarket rims but this is alot cheaper...Does the bike perform/handle any different from adding the extra weight from the rims?
    By the time you get the rims, have them modified properly, have them powdercoated, get the other required parts, and work out the bugs are you actually saving much of anything over a set oF Carrozzeria Wheels which are ready to bolt on AND give you weight savings?

You might want to think it through and weigh the pros and cons (and weight the wheels!) before you pull the trigger.
    Bikes:
    2005 Honda CBR 1000RR Repsol
    2008 Ducati 1098s
    2010 R1 LE Rossi

Name: W

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
    By the time you get the rims, have them modified properly, have them powdercoated, get the other required parts, and work out the bugs are you actually saving much of anything over a set oF Carrozzeria Wheels which are ready to bolt on AND give you weight savings?

You might want to think it through and weigh the pros and cons (and weight the wheels!) before you pull the trigger.

Yeah you have a good point...loan me some money to get a set of Carrozzeria

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post

Without a doubt....unless you get an awesome price for the wheels, you'll be better off going aftermarket. The Carrozzeria are sweet looking rims....but not the look I wanted for my bikes.

With the exception of the package available for the Carrozzeria or the Dymags, you'll be coating your Marchesini, Marvic, Galespeed rims also....if you want to maintain Repsol appearance.

I put cast magesium Dymag five spokes on my '05, that came in orange, and dropped almost $2500. From what I've read, you could mortgage one of your children and get the real deal... HRC six spoke rims...true appearance, light weight and a total price of a small investment account. All depends on what you're after

Name: Chris
    VIN: 07 / #0790

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkat View Post
    From what I've read, you could mortgage one of your children and get the real deal...
    If only I had children...
    'Cause the eyes of a ranger are upon you, any wrong you do, he's gonna see, when you're in Texas, look behind you, 'cause that's where the Ranger's gonna be.

Back from the dark side! 1eyebrother's Avatar

Name: Jason
    VIN: SOLD

I have thought about trying that with one of my kids and my lawyer said I would probably get caught at some point....so I decided to keep my kids and keep my stock rims....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast